How to Secure & Maintain your WordPress Website
- Keep your website software up-to-date. This includes WordPress, Your WordPress Theme and any WordPress Plugins have been installed. Keeping your website software current is important in keeping your website safe and secure.
- Backup your complete WordPress site, including the database, on a regular basis. The internet is an unsure place and there are many things that can go wrong. It is most likely not a matter of IF you’ll have a catastrophic issue, but a matter of WHEN. Eventually, web servers fail. Even if the site is recovered, it’s not uncommon to have corrupt files or tables. Most Web Hosting companies offer free daily backups of their websites, but most of them will not guarantee a backup. It is prudent that you do not rely solely on them, especially if you have an active and dynamic website. Having a good recent backup makes all the difference.
- Keep Your WordPress Secure. Keeping your WordPress site secure isn’t just about using strong passwords. It’s an ongoing process to monitor the website for potential security risks. Although we run a security check before turning the site over to you, it is a good idea to monitor your site on a regular basis.
- Full Service: Maintaining websites is tedious and technical so let us do it for you.
- Security: The Internet can be a dangerous place, so let us protect your site.
- Peace of Mind: Staying on top of the latest updates and security warnings is a job for a professional. We can help.
We will work with you to find the right package for your needs.
WordPress Software Updates
Keeping your website software up-to-date is made easy through your WordPress Dashboard. When you login, the Dashboard will display an easy to see symbol notating there are updates available. The biggest problem is that, although easy to do, it’s easy to just forget to do it. For our customers who want a worry free website, see our Maintenance package. We will take care of your updates for you.
Automating daily backups that include your database can be done through a variety of services. We recommend BackupBuddy. Backup Buddy is a Premium Plugin.. You can purchase BackupBuddy for $80/year (at the time of this writing) and set it up to automatically backup your WordPress website, including the database, plugins, files, themes, scripts, posts, settings, widgets, and everything else in the WordPress database and directories. Or if you would prefer to turn this task over to us, you can sign up for our Backup Service and we’ll take care of your backups for you. We also include your WordPress backup with our Premium Hosting Package. If you want to go out on your own and search for a different backup system, Here are a list of things you should look for:
- Complete. The backup is complete and should include everything: database, media files, uploads, settings, widgets, and themes.
- Automatic. Ability to set it up so it just happens on a regular basis. It should not rely on you to make it happen.
- Reliable. It’s been around awhile and is kept current. It needs to be compatible with a wide variety of web hosts, and a reliable support system.
- Portable. Ability to backup off site to a remote destination as part of the backup process automatically and offer lots of options for where the backup archives can be stored remotely.
- Simple. It shouldn’t be too confusing and difficult to set up and /or restore.